Tuesday, April 24, 2007

How it all started

We found out I was pregnant at the beginning of August 2006. We were very excited. I quickly made a shirt for Kiah. The front said "I have a secret" and the back said "I'm going to be a big sister." For Chris' parents we took pictures and posted them on our old picture sharing site. For my parents we took her to their house wearing the shirt. Everyone was pretty surprised. I knew my due date was 4/16, our anniversary. But the Dr. Razi had the date set as 4/19. I was ok with this. It would afford me a few extra days to go into labor naturally without pressure for an induction.

Monday Morning, April 23, 2007, I went to my doctor's appointment. Went through the normal routine. I was apparently not measuring where he wanted me to, so he did an u/s an felt the fluids were low around the little guy. He checked my cervix and I was dilated to 2 cm. My No-stress tests were great, as was my Blood Pressure. Dr. Razi felt I should go to the hospital and be induced. I discussed it with him, and agreed to go to the hospital. They were going to recheck my fluids there. (so basically I was getting a second opinion.

We decided to go to lunch first so I could have my “last” meal. And then we needed to get things ready, like making arraignments for Kiah, get my bags, let DH know (cuz he had class, so my mom took me to the appt.)

I got to the hospital and the Dr at the hospital did another u/s and felt that my fluids were OK. But they do fluctuate, and we discussed all the pros and cons of continuing on with the induction. We decided to go for it.

So they started the pit around 5pm and increased it slowly. At 11:30 pm they checked me again and I was 3 cm and feeling no pain, just a little discomfort. They broke my water at that time and I began to feel VERY uncomfortable almost immediately. Between 12:30 and 1 am I asked for an epidural, cuz it was getting close to being too much, and since last tit took 12 hours for breaking my water to birth with DD I felt that I would not be able to handle it that long. After the epidural I was able to sleep off and on throughout the night. (there is a chunk of time I do not remember, which is so weird to me, but at least I was with family and in a safe, protected environment, and for all intents and purposes, paralyzed from the chest down)

At 6:15 they came in to check me because the monitor was indicating that I could be ready. I didn’t quite feel the need to push, so I pretty sure I wasn’t. I was dilated to 10 cm, but still -1 to 0 station. So she said she would be back in 30 min to let me labor down. I decided I wanted to sit-up. After about 25 min I felt some leakage, but didn’t think much of it. I had the shakes pretty badly. It was making me laugh, but I was concerned I would use up all my energy. About 5 min. later the nurse came back so I could begin to push. I felt the need then.

As I began to recline, she saw the leakage and that is when I found out what it was, meconium. So she called everyone to make sure they were here when I now had this “high-risk” birth. (the Dr. had been sent to the ER for an emergency, and she had to get the respiratory therapist, and Nursery specialist) I knew if I wanted to avoid a c-sect I had to get this baby out fast. So I began pushing. And just like with DD, there was a lot of peek-a-boo going on. Meaning the baby is there, then sucks back up a bit. Which can actually be a good thing, cuz it stretches the canal out to make way, but when you are trying to hurry, it can be frustrating.

But I was able to push him out in about 40 min. I had no tears or repairs. I still can’t believe it, and I am not sure the Dr. could either. His 1 min. Apgar was 4, but his 5 min. Apgar was 9. He did just what he was supposed to do, he held his breath! They pulled about 10 cc of meconium form his mouth/nose/throat, but there was none on or beyond his vocal cords. YAY!

The nurses kept apologizing for keeping him from me and they did take him to the nursery for about 2 hours for observation cuz his face color wasn’t great. I kept telling them they didn’t need to apologize for taking great care of my son.

The cord was around his neck once, which is why he probably hadn’t settled into my pelvis yet, and when I sat-up it dropped him down and stressed him a bit and he pooped!

All in all, it went very well. I am happy with the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment